|Eggplant & Tomato Sandwich on Focaccia Bread|
Many consider eggplant to be very exotic -- and the taste and texture is somewhat unique. It is a versatile food and can be prepared in a variety of different ways. Eggplant can be roasted in the oven or grilled.
Featured Recipe -
Grilled Eggplant SandwichYou'll need -
- 4 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped, Fresh Basil
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 2 small Eggplants
- 1/2 cup Cream Cheese, Low-Fat Whipped, or Goat Cheese
- 4 pieces Focaccia or other good quality bread, sliced in half, lengthwise
NOTE: Focaccia bread is a dimpled Italian flatbread; usually baked in a long slender loaf. For this recipe a good Italian bread or Italian garlic bread could be used.
- 2/3 cup Spinach, washed and dried
- 4 slices Tomato
- Slice eggplant in to medallion shaped slices, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Add olive oil, garlic, salt, and fresh ground pepper and ½ teaspoon fresh chopped basil to small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Brush both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil mixture.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Grill eggplant over direct heat, 3 minutes per side.
- Mix cream cheese, 1-tablespoon fresh chopped basil, salt, and fresh ground pepper in small bowl.Spread 4 halves of focaccia bread with cheese mixture.
- Add eggplant
- Top with spinach, slice of tomato, and focaccia bread slice
Make Your Own Focaccia Bread
- MIX flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and water, stirring until well mixed. Spread dough into greased 13 x 9-inch pan. Cover.
- LET RISE until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- POKE multiple holes into the dough using the handle of a wooden spoon. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over dough; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and Italian herb seasoning. Cover.
- LET RISE an additional 15 minutes while oven preheats to 375°F.
- BAKE 30 to 35 minutes until lightly browned. Cool slightly and cut into slices; serve warm. If desired, serve with additional olive oil for dipping.