Friday, September 6, 2013

Week 13 C.S.A. Distribution!

Dear C.S.A. Community,

This year is flying by and week 13 is here already. Quick Update on the length of the C.S.A., the season runs 16 weeks long. I hope everyone thus far has enjoyed their chemical free veggie's. This week will be the first week we start to distribute the brussels sprouts. We leave them on the stalk, this adds to their longevity in your fridge. The sprouts are able to draw out nutrients in the stalk. When you are ready to prepare them I would pluck them off of the stalk. Then I always remove the first layer of foliage before I wash them. Brussels get a bad rap, properly prepared they are one of my favorites. Also the small pepper's in your pepper medley we distribute each are mildly hot. We have started the distribution of banana pepper's and jalapeños.  Also in this week's box is a long slender item. This item is De La Cata squash. Cut down the center and cook like you would cook acorn or butternut squash. Excellent in Flavor and in quality.

Preparation Suggestion: Sprouts

After cleaning I cut the sprouts in half and sauté in medium size pan. I cook lightly in oil and brown one side of the sprout. When it is browned on one side, it is done. You can modify this to your delight. I put parmesan cheese and fresh basil in the pan when I cook mine.( Basil can be substituted with Gongura)  Hope this helps.... :

Farm/Weather Update

Surprisingly after all that rain we had in the spring we have been in a very dry spell on the farm. We are using irrigation regularly to maintain the health & growth of the veggie's. The farm is still cleaning the items we have already ate. Each week you will start to notice that the field will get cleaner and leaner until all the veggie's are gone. The same is happening in the back field you just don't see it. Fall items are going to be here slightly early due to the mild summer and then a week of extreme heat. Never to early though for winter squash.

Items This Week:

  •  Gongura
  • Brussels Sprouts 
  • Winter Squash
  • Pepper Medley 
  • Tomato 
  • Potato
  • Kale
P.S. Sorry for the late blog. I am getting Married tomorrow and it has been a crazy week. The store will be closed on Sunday. Enjoy your Veggie's! Even though I am getting married this weekend I can still be reached @ 319-558-8199. I am always available for you!

Thanks Chris, and the soon to be Mrs. Bass.









3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...