Monday, March 26, 2012

Farm Update! Current C.S.A. Member's

Helloo ALL,

I hope everyone is doing very well and have enjoyed this beautiful weather recently. We are still very busy at the farm. We have taken a break from seeding flats because we have now I think around 273 flats. We will start seeding again, in about a week. All of the little babies in the greenhouse are doing well. The cabbage and Cauliflower are growing like weeds. Today and this week we will be getting the store ready for our spring season. We will be opening the store on April 2, 2012 which is a Monday!! Yippeee! We are just waiting for our glycerin based soaps. They are made in a kitchen in Monticello and cut by hand. Me and Martin Will also make one more batch of Candles before we open the store.We have been cleaning up the fence rows on the farm as well. I will be reseeding waterways as soon as the weather gives me a chance. If anyone wants to come out to the farm and meet us during the day next week feel free, or check out the greenhouse. The C.S.A membership base is growing, I have contacted almost all of you. We have 39 members which is good for this time of the year! If you know anyone that is interested give them my cell and they can call or email me. (319-558-8199) The garlic is doing good still. I am glad it kind of got cold today because it will stunt the growth a little bit. Also I went to last year's onion patch today to see what was going on. Last fall I decided not to disk because their were tons of onions in the ground. I can almost guarantee we will have green onions the first couple weeks of the C.S.A. season. The green onions are shooting out of the ground at-least twelve inches now. It is really cool they have been in the ground almost a year. The herbs that we planted last year are showing good regrowth which I had mentioned I think in a previous blog. We are currently expanding the size of our current bed to allow room for our wonderfully diverse varieties of herbs. Today I mowed the farm for the first time. I think this is the earliest I have mowed it. I was very chilly. While I was on the mower I got a chance to take a peak in the pond. The Koi are getting huge. They are three years old now and I think I might have to start feeding them. They are extremely abundant in the pond so if you get a chance, take a peak. We are attending the Farm to Market Fair on April 22nd from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. This will be held at the Cedar Rapids Public Library. This is another chance to get to know us or learn more about our farm.


Thz Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...