Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Holy Heat (Farm Update) C.S.A

Hello All,

Well I haven't posted a farm update recently. Sorry the first couple weeks of the season I am extremely busy. So where to begin...The first issue I will be addressing is the heat. It has been so hot & dry. Normally this would speak disaster for a veggie farm. Nothing grows when their is no rain. Thankfully we have an irrigation system that puts out 100 g.p.m.! We have been using it frequently. Our well is 298 feet deep and is plugged into a massive aquifer! The pumpkins and the squash are all up and look quite nicely. We are approaching a transitional phase on the farm right now where we will start distributing more summer veggie's. We are getting ready to replant more lettuce. Also we started pulling the garlic and it is quite amazing. We are only distributing one bulb or head per member this week. Garlic is very strong so use this with care. The tomato's are flowering and fruiting and so are the peppers. This is great news as they are just around the corner. The eggplant is also growing nicely. Their is nothing on the farm currently that is not going well from a growing standpoint. The cabbage looks beautiful and I can't wait to get it to you. It is almost their. The purple cabbage is truly purple all the way through. It will look great mixed with the green in slaw. We had our first tour this week and it went great! The students had a blast and learned a lot about vegetables. I am pretty sure we over planted on the yellow and green zuc's! This will be fun, I promise I will try to get them all before they get to big. I have been seeing some baby frogs around the farm recently. This shocked me because the pond is only half full due to the lack of moisture! So if any of you want to come look around the farm for them, you can. Also please remember to wash all your veggie's before consumption. I always soak my lettuce and broccoli in the sink for ten to fifteen minute's in lukewarm water. The bugs rise to top and the produce is cleaned! 

Thz for Reading 

Chris 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...